At the end of 2015, it is best that I contemplate on what is necessary to have/ learn/possess/ do to survive in Manchester. The city is lovely and accepts you the way you are so you would not need to change much. But here are few things that you have to adapt to if you plan on staying here for a long time.
- Have an array of shoes. From walking shoes to snow boots to fashionable shoes and slippers etc. etc. etc. This is because you have to walk walk and walk a lot. No matter where you go, you have to walk. So, you might as well own good shoes , check their soles once in a while, change your shoes if they are worn out (Lots of good shoes are available on sale). Please Go Out and Own your perfect comfy sets of shoes!
- Never ever step out of your front door without a muffler, gloves, cap/hat, unbrella or rain coat. Well not so much of a rain coat, but Umbrella is a must. In fact, it is best if you own more than one. You never know when a strong gale will blow your umbrella away. In short DO NOT CATCH A COLD !
- Life survives a lot here on coupons. You have coupons behind bus tickets, in magazines, in newspapers and various other places. Collect them and use them, cause they really work and you do get discounts. Also, if you are a student then keep your ID Card at hand, you might get an extra student discount.
- A lot of magazines and newspapers here are free. Grab them and read them. For a person like me, who was allergic to any kind of newspapers, I have taken to all free newspapers and magazines to kill my boredom. Today, I probably read more newspapers and mags than I have ever read in my life.
- You cannot forget to wish people. All conversations here start with a “Hello, you all right? ” or “Hiya, You OK?” . Do not panic when at the end of a conversation people say “Thanks Love” . A “Thank You” to the bus driver is mandatory. So, lets start revising on our manners again.
- A strong GPS system on your mobile phone would certainly do you good. If you are to live in this city on your own then you might as well know which place is which and do not get lost. I have marvellous experiences of getting lost in the middle of this city and let me tell you, it is not a good experience. So please avoid it if you can!
- Love bright and sunny days where you can tan yourself a little? Bid Good-bye to them! A bright and sunny day is a rare occassion. It rains mostly everyday. In fact, more than the rains, it is the cold wind which is difficult to cope up with.
- When in Manchester, you just cannot leave the city without seeing some famous places in and around the city. In Manchester, apart from the regular Museums and Art Galleries, MediaCity UK, Castlefield, Trafford Centre, City Centre with the City Council and Northern Quarters are a must. Around Manchester, Oxford, Cambridge, Cardiff, Liverpool, Stockport, Macclesfield, Warwick are places that cannot be missed.
- Have a bank account. Nearly every place here accepts card payments so you need not carry any cash at all. Although, keeping a one pound change always helps especially while taking out trolleys from the trolley park in shopping malls!
- Lastly, keep a scribble diary. Not that it is necessary but I maintain one where mostly crosswords and other such puzzles are solved. But I think I maintain the diary to keep my sanity more than anything. With mostly nothing to do during the festive season this diary helps me cope up with my boredom.
I hope this helps you get a taste of some of the mandatory stuffs needed to survive in this city. If you think there is something missing in this listicle please feel free to add it. Thanks.
See you again in the Next Year with more such posts on this interesting city :).